The best part of fall to me is apple cider donuts!! We love going apple picking and getting some cider and then coming home, to make all of our sweet treats! We usually make mini donuts, large donuts, and donut holes! Why not? This one is dairy and nut free too!
I use apple cider to dip my donuts in, to coat them with the cinnamon and sugar topping, but only if I’m eating (ahem, i mean) serving them immediately. This gives lots of extra apple flavor, but it does change the texture. If they are meant to be eaten later, then use the non dairy butter in lieu of the apple cider for putting the topping on. Enjoy!
Apple Cider Donuts
-non-stick cooking spray
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp cloves
-1/4 tsp salt
-2 tbl dairy free butter, melted (like Earth Balance buttery sticks)
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup pea milk (like Ripple)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup apple cider
-1 cup granulated sugar
-2 tbls cinnamon
-1 cup apple cider or 1 stick dairy free butter, melted (like Earth Balance buttery sticks)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spray the donut baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. (I use donut hole, mini donut, and regular size donut pans.)
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the dairy free butter in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- In another bowl, mix the dairy free butter, egg, brown sugar, sugar, pea milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider. Stir to combine.
- Mix in the dry ingredients (the flour mixture) into the wet ingredients mixture. Stir to combine, till there are no clumps.
- Pour into the donut pans. Fill each one half full. Put in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Stick a toothpick in one and pull it out, if it comes out clean then they are done. If not, bake for another two minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 2 minutes. Then put the donuts on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the topping, place the apple cider in a separate, shallow dish. Then place the cinnamon and sugar in another shallow dish and stir to combine.
- Once cooled, lightly dip them in the apple cider and then dip them in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Only use the apple cider, if they will be eaten immediately. Otherwise, use the melted dairy free butter instead and then coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve and enjoy!