Chicken pot pie is a delicious comfort food, however it is difficult to find a recipe that is allergy friendly. Look no further. I have a great dairy-free recipe! It is perfect for all of this winter weather that we have been getting. Enjoy!
-2 tbls olive oil
-1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1″ cubes
-2 stalks celery, sliced
-1 10 oz bag frozen carrots & peas
-2 tbls non- dairy butter (such as Earth Balance Soy-Free Non-Dairy Buttery Spread)
-1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
-1/3 cup flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/4 tsp celery salt
-1 3/4 cups chicken stock
-2/3 cup non-dairy pea milk (such as Ripple Unsweetened Original)
-1 tbl dried parsley
-2 9 inch dairy free pie crust (I found mine at Whole Foods)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium heat for one minute. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery and the bag of peas & carrots. Sauté and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the non-dairy butter, till melted. Add the onion and sauté on medium heat for 3 minutes or until translucent. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and celery salt. It should make a thick paste. Slowly, add in the non-dairy milk and chicken stock. Continue stirring on medium heat, until thick, for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.
- Place chicken mixture in bottom pie crust and then pour hot liquid mixture over.
- Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make a few small slits in the top to vent.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until pie is golden brown on top. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!