This is a recipe that has been in my family for years. It was clipped out of a newspaper years ago by my aunt and one of the few things my mom bakes. I have changed it a bit over the years to fit my allergy needs and my preferences.
One of the main things, I needed to change was the use of traditional shortening. Shortening, typically is made of soy and I needed this recipe to be soy and dairy free. So, I began using palm shortening & don’t worry I get responsibly, sustainable sourced palm shortening. I also, removed any nuts from the recipe too.
Even with all the changes and tweaks, this recipe is still delicious and simple to make! Enjoy!
Dairy Free Zucchini Bread
-1 cup palm shortening
-2 cups peeled, grated zucchini
-3 tsps vanilla extract
-1 cup white sugar
-1 cup brown sugar
-3 cups flour
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp salt
-3 tsps cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour to loaf pans.
- Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl or using a stand mixer.
- Add palm shortening, zucchini, vanilla extract, white sugar and brown sugar to eggs and mix until combined,
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until combined,
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Bake in the two greased, floured loaf pans at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean when removed.