A simple pasta dish is great for weeknights, especially for busy families. Sometimes the same old, same old (albeit delicious) spaghetti can get repetitive. So I have a great dish with lots of protein & vegetables. I dare say a great balance of protein, vegetables and carbs! It’s free of most of the top allergens, besides wheat. However, if you need or choose a gluten free lifestyle, then you can easily substitute my recipe with gluten free pasta noodles. I also use a mix of pasta water and garlic olive oil for a light sauce and it’s so yummy! I hope this becomes an easy go to recipe for your busy weeknights or casual weekends too! Enjoy!
Chicken Sausage & Broccolini Pasta
-3 tbls garlic olive oil
-1 medium yellow onion, chopped
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
-1 package pre-cooked mild italian chicken sausage, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
-8 oz Orecchiette Pasta
-1 bunch of broccolini, chopped
- Heat 2 tbls garlic olive oil in a dutch oven on medium heat. Add in the onion, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chicken sausage to the pot and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Season with red pepper flakes.
- In a separate pot, boil water and cook pasta noodles, according to package. Add broccolini in pot with noodles, during the last two minutes of cooking.
- Drain noodles and broccolini, reserving a 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the noodles and broccolini to the chicken sausage mixture in the dutch oven. Stir, then add in the pasta water and 1 tbl garlic olive oil. Stir and enjoy!
Tip: Serve with a sprinkle of salt & pepper and a drizzle of finishing oil; either extra virgin olive oil or garlic olive oil!