It’s a new year, which means resolutions, heathy eating, lifestyle changes, etc., etc.! Now add on living with food allergies and resolutions can be a challenge.
Well, I have a simple, healthy, top 8 free soup! It’s comforting and filling, perfect for these winter months! It also uses up the leftover ham still sitting in the fridge! It’s based on my grandma’s recipe, so you know it’s going to be good, when it comes from a grandma! Happy New Year & Enjoy!
Split Pea Soup
-1 16 oz bag dried green split peas
-4 cups water
-2 tbls olive oil
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
-1 cup ham, diced
-1 ham bone
- Put the bag of split peas into a large bowl and cover with water. Soak the peas in the water to rehydrate them for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt and half the pepper. Sauté till translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the diced ham pieces and heat for 3 minutes.
- Add in the ham bone and the bowl of split peas and water. Season with the other half of the pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring often. Remove ham bone and discard. If needed, add more water if soup is too thick. Simmer until peas break down and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve & enjoy!