Just in time for Thanksgiving I have a delicious dairy free side dish to share with you! Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole!!!! It is so yummy and creamy, despite not having any dairy in it!
If you saw my post last week, then you already know my recipe for dairy free cream of mushroom soup. This week we add to that wonderful recipe, to make a delicious casserole! Another bonus to this recipe is, I was able to find gluten free french fried onions (these ones were from Aldi, so they were super affordable as well)!
So enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving from the Allergy Gal!!
Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole
Ingredients for Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole
-16 oz fresh green beans chopped into 1″ pieces
-2 cups chicken stock
-6 oz french fried onions
Ingredients for Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
-1 medium onion, chopped
-2 tbls olive oil
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-6 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
-6 oz baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
-3 tbls non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance Soy Free Sticks)
-1/3 cup all purpose flour
-2/3 cup pea plant based milk (such as Ripple Original Unsweetened Pea Milk)
– 2 1/4 cups chicken stock (1 3/4 cup for roux and 1/2 cup for mushroom mixture)
- Start by making the cream of mushroom soup.
- In a dutch oven or pot, sauté half of the chopped onion in olive oil, till soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add white and portobello mushrooms to onions. Add more olive oil, if pan looks “dry.” Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in a 1/2 cup chicken stock to mushrooms and simmer uncovered on low for 5 minutes.
- In a pan, sauté non-dairy butter and the other half of the chopped onions, till translucent and soft. Stir in flour, until mixture becomes combined. It will be thick. SLOWLY, stir in the pea milk and 1 3/4 cups chicken stock. Continue stirring and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thick. This should now be a thick and creamy roux.
- Pour roux into the mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Use an immersion blender to blend and chop up some of the mushrooms, leaving some mushrooms chunky.
- In a separate pot bring 2 cups chicken stock to a boil. Add green beans and cook on medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain green beans from chicken stock. Combine green beans and dairy free cream of mushroom soup. Stir in 1/3 cup french fried onions to mixture. Place mixture in a baking dish.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 20 minutes. Top mixture with remaining french fried onions and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve & enjoy!